In this episode, I explain how to translate the top eight negative emotions to learn what might be needed. The emotions listed below are the top eight negative emotions that we often eat over. If you are in a place of wanting to move beyond reacting to them, resisting them, or avoiding them, this episode is for you!
For any negative emotions we experience, we can take 100% responsibility for them by how we have chosen to think about the world and what's happening that created them. When we do that, we create a space of intentionality and agency over our lives, even when it feels hard.
Coach Homework: Identify 1-3 of the most commonly felt negative emotions listed below for you. Using the translation below, explore in your journaling whether there is a message from your particular negative emotional experience that is trying to get your attention about what is needed.
- Anger is trying to tell you what you're passionate about, where your boundaries and values are, and what you believe needs to change about the world.
- Disappointment is trying to tell you that you tried for something, that you did not give in to apathy, and that you still care.
- Anxiety is trying to tell you that you need to wake up to the truth of how life is right now, that you're stuck in the past and living in fear of the future.
- Bitterness is trying to tell you about what needs healing and where you're still holding judgment of others and/or yourself.
- Resentment is trying to tell you where you're arguing for things to be different, living in the past, and not allowing the present to be as it is.
- Guilt is trying to tell you that you're living life from other people's or external expectations of what you should do.
- Discomfort is trying to tell you that you need to pay attention right now to what is happening because you're being given the opportunity to change, to do something different than what is typical for you.
- Sadness is trying to tell you the depth of your feelings and care for others and/or the world.
Visit me @thriveinmidlife on Instagram on the episode reel and comment with your ah-ha's, takeaways, homework, and/or questions from this episode, and let’s keep the conversation going.
Want all of the best tips and strategies from the podcast in one place to help you lose weight? Order the Love Life And Lose Weight book and get a free companion workbook to complete all of the coach homework questions in each chapter.
Want to work with me? Join the No BS Weightloss Membership