famous spinach artichoke dip
serves 8-10 as an appetizer For a low carb appetizer, serve with parmesan cheese crisps & celery sticks.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 3 cups
- 2 large cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 oz. fresh baby spinach roughly chopped (= about 2 bags)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried red chili flakes or red pepper flakes optional, but does not make dip spicy
- 5-10 turns of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 - 12 oz. jar of artichoke hearts drained & coarsely chopped. (I prefer grilled artichokes in oil for the best flavor)
- 1 brick of full-fat cream cheese 8 oz., cut into cubes
- 1/2 C organic shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C full-fat sour cream
- 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: serve with parmesan cheese crisps & cut up bell pepper strips & celery sticks)
Turn on broiler to medium setting and set oven rack to the top 1/3 setting.
Heat a large frypan over medium-low heat and add olive oil & garlic and sauté for a minute or so, stirring so that the garlic does not brown.
Add chopped spinach, salt & chili pepper and cook until the spinach is wilted, tossing lightly with tongs.
Turn the heat up to medium & add drained artichoke hearts, cooking for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cream cheese, mozzarella, & sour cream and continue to cook until the cheeses melt and everything starts bubbling.
Transfer dip to an ovenproof dish and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the top browns. Eat hot from the oven or room temperature.
Serving: 1/3 C | Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 18g | Fiber: 3g