Let's be honest, most of us are overly sentimental about real mashed potatoes when the reality is that they tend to be dry, lumpy, and sit like lead in your stomach, not to mention they are loaded with carbs and spike your blood sugar like crazy. They are also a pain in the ass to make – all the peeling and boiling and ricing of those potatoes – ugh! None of this is necessary, I promise you. I experimented with all kinds of methods to elevate cauliflower to become as light, rich, and savory as the very best traditional mashed potatoes. These keto mashed potatoes are completely creamy yet light and as savory as traditional potatoes, contain far fewer carbs, and are so much easier to make than traditional mashed potatoes, which is why these keto mashed potatoes are a legit miracle!
These keto cauliflower-based mashed potatoes are super creamy, yet light and as savory as traditional potatoes, contain far fewer carbs, and are so much easier to make than traditional mashed potatoes, which is why these keto mashed potatoes are a legit miracle!
easier to make
These are far easier to make than traditional mashed potatoes now that you can buy pre-riced cauliflower in 16 oz. bags in pretty much any grocery store. I get mine at Trader Joe's. Just check the bag expiration date and make sure they are as fresh as possible.
If you're making these babies for Thanksgiving, another bonus is that you cook them in the microwave so they don't take up any stovetop of oven space. You will need to process them in the food processor in order to get them super creamy, so make sure you have one or borrow one!
holiday prep tips
- This recipe makes 3.5 cups – enough for 8-10 people. But, it also halves and doubles nicely to serve your size crowd, too.
- You'll need a food processor and microwave oven to make these.
- You can make these keto mashed potatoes well ahead and freeze them. Allow your keto mashed potatoes to cool completely and then into a freezer bag. Flatten to get all of the air out and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Keto Mashed potatoes can be made fresh up to two days ahead. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- The day of serving, allow them to come to room temperature before reheating.
- To reheat: Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes then stir well. Return to microwave and heat in 2-minute segments stirring each time until heated through. If they are too dry add more butter &/or half & half.
macro comparison per serving
My miracle keto mashed ‘potatoes save you a whopping 54 grams of carbohydrate and 298 calories per serving. Woot! Here's the breakdown:
Ina Garten's sour cream mashed potatoes: 452 calories, 21 grams fat, 8 grams protein, 59 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber
Miracle keto mashed ‘potatoes': 154 calories, 13 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 5 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber